Position Title: AUDIO EDITOR & PRODUCER
Reports To: Senior Producer
Climate One is the premier platform for the conversation about climate disruption. Through our podcast, national radio show, and live convenings for thought leaders and concerned members of the public, we create opportunities for dialogue, exchange, and reflection that deepen understanding and catalyze solutions.
We’re looking for a dynamic, experienced audio editor who will help craft the sound of our weekly podcast and radio show for a global audience who cares deeply about climate and justice issues. We want someone who knows how to make compelling audio and who will bring new ideas for fostering insightful conversations and engaging storytelling to our team, particularly as we deepen our coverage of how climate chaos intersects with social and economic justice.
The Audio Editor & Producer helps develop weekly programs in collaboration with the Climate One team and works in tandem with our existing Audio Editor/Producer. Once the interviews are recorded, the Audio Editor & Producers are responsible for scripting, audio editing and sound design. In addition, the Audio Editor & Producer may contribute to researching, reporting and booking guests for the program.
Climate One is based in San Francisco at The Commonwealth Club of California, a non-profit and non-partisan public forum. Audio Editor & Producer applicants can be based anywhere and are expected to travel (at the Club’s expense) to work in San Francisco a few times per year to build team cohesion.
Status: Salaried, Exempt
Schedule: Full time.
Salary/Compensation: $55,000 to $72,000.
Full health, dental, and vision benefits, and 401K plan with 4% employer match.
We envision a world where a clear-eyed awareness of the climate crisis shapes decisions ranging from personal behavior to public policy and where the full spectrum of humanity’s wisdom, talent, and expertise is marshaled toward the wellbeing of all life on Earth.
Inclusion is the key to our success: We’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential and diverse voices are not just heard, but are influential. We are seeking a motivated and talented producer who will help shape the most important conversation of our time, and help us lift up underrepresented voices. We do not expect the most qualified applicant to have prior experience in all aspects of the job; we provide mentorship and guidance to help our team members grow.
● Perform weekly audio technical and content editing of interviews and full program
● Produce setup pieces with archival sound and guest interviews
● Produce weekly radio promos
● Collaborate with producers on developing episode topics, guests and structure
● Draft scripts for billboard, show intro, and host copy
● Ensure that audio quality meets NPR standards
● Ensure audio editing processes and deadlines are met
● Support web content publishing
● Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field preferred
● High standards as a skilled, meticulous audio editor
● Minimum of two years experience in broadcast journalism, podcast production, and/or
other audio editing preferred
● Experience editing interviews for continuity, accuracy and time with excellent attention to
● Substantive knowledge preferred of climate-related issues, such as food, energy, water,
transportation, urban development, clean technology, and climate justice
● Lived experience with climate justice issues a plus
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
● Excellent written communications
● Experience working effectively independently with limited direction, as well as with
others as part of a team
● Ability to work as part of a production team producing radio interviews and writing
● Ability to collaborate with freelance journalists as well as staff
● Ability to work well under pressure while juggling different programs on varied
● Required technical skills: Proficient using ProTools, Audition or equivalent audio editing
software; knowledge of Google Drive and content management systems
● Experience with video editing tools and iZotope audio tools a plus
Interested candidates should submit a single PDF attachment that includes the following:
A cover letter including links to two audio samples (please specify your role in producing them)
A writing sample specific to podcast or radio (such as a script)
Please send application to email@example.com with the subject line “Audio Editor & Producer”.
Application deadline: Review of applications will begin on August 30, 2021.
Inclusion and respect are core values of Climate One from The Commonwealth Club. We are a small team that enjoys working together and is treated fairly. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that is keen to further diversify our workforce and we encourage individuals of color, LGBTQ and women to apply.
Thank you in advance for your interest in Climate One. Due to the volume of applicants, only candidates who will be invited to interview will be contacted. Position is open until filled.